Governors Island Park and Public Space Master Plan
2007-2016, New York, USA
The Governors Island Park and Public Space Master Plan proposes a dramatic transformation of this once-abandoned island and accentuates the qualities of this unique place, transforming Governors Island into both a destination and landmark.
Developed from the 2006 international design competition winning entry, the vision has since been developed into richly conceived and feasible Master Plan, which will serve as the catalyst and driver for the redevelopment of the Island.
The Master Plan for the Governors Island Park and Public Spaces encompasses 87 acres. The landscapes of the northern Historic District total 33 acres and the new Park and Public Spaces to the south total 40 acres. The Great Promenade, 2.2 miles in length, runs the complete periphery of the Island.
The design team spent hundreds of hours on the Island, in all types of weather and seasons, to understand and incorporate micro and macro site conditions. They observed visitors’ use and mapped and analyzed actual Island events to develop future scenarios and to assess their potential for implementation.
The re-imagining of the Island landscape also goes hand-in-hand with its rediscovery by the people of New York City. Thousands of whom contributed ideas about what they would like to see in the park and public spaces. As such, the planning principles and design strategies are rooted in a deep understanding of the Island’s inherent attributes and its potential as a resource for the entire region.
The Island offers a world apart from New York City, an extraordinary vantage point on New York Harbor, and the chance to experience the sensations of a green Island surrounded by water and sky. Governors Island will re-emerge as extraordinary new public park that embraces all New York Harbor, its ecology, its history, its culture and its magnificent beauty: an icon for the city, a beacon in the harbor.
The first of implementation was completed in fall of 2013 and Phase 2 was completed in 2016.
More information about Governors Island: www.govisland.com
- The Trust for Governors Island
- Rogers Marvel Architects, Diller, Scofidio + Renfro, Mathews Nielsen Landscape Architects, Urban Design +
- Associate Landscape Architect: Mathews Nielsen Landscape Architects Lead Civil Engineer: Magnusson Klemencic Associates Local Civil Engineer: AKRF Geotechnical Engineer: Hart Crowser Inc. Signage and Wayfinding: Pentagram Lighting: Tillotson Design Associates MEP Engineer: Dagher Associates Soils Consultant: Pine and Swallow Environmental Irrigation Consultants: Northern Designs Code Consultants: Code Consulting Inc. Cost Estimator: Faithful & Gould Operations and Maintenance: ETM Associates Surveyors of Record: Langan Water Feature Design:Fluidity Design Specification Consultants: Construction Specifications, Inc Archaeological Consultants: Linda Stone, RPA
- Built by Women New York City Award, Beverly Willis Architecture Foundation (2014), Honor Award, American Society of Landscape Architects ASLA (2012), Award for Excellence in Design, Public Design Commission of New York City (2012), Center for Architecture Foundation Award, The American Institute of Architects New York (2011), Merit Award, NY Chapter ASLA (2011), Open House New York Award, Open House New York (2011), Special Recognition Award, Municipal Art Society (2010), Special Citation, The American Institute of Architects, New York (2009), AIA NYC Honor Award ,The American Institute of Architects, New York (2008), Green Around Downtown Award, Alliance for Downtown New York (2008)
- Adriaan Geuze, Jamie Maslyn Larson, Alyssa Schwann, Askar Ramazanov, Claire Agre, Claudia Wolsfeld, Daniel Vasini, David Zielnicki, Enrique Ibáñez González, Fernando Diez, Jerry van Eyck, Joost Koningen, Joris Weijts, Juan Figueroa Calero, Kees Schoot, Matthew Skjonsberg, Perry Maas, Pieter Hoen, Rachel Laszlo Tait, Rob Koningen, Ronald van Nugteren, Sander Lap, Shachar Zur, Silvia Lupini