Transformation of Gasthuiskwartier in historic city of Den Bosch
Gasthuiskwartier is a 5 hectare area of an historic (from 17th century until recent years) sanatorium site situated in the Northeast part of ‘s-Hertogenbosch city center. West 8 has since 2013 been assigned to steer the urban redevelopment of Gasthuiskwartier (formerly GZG-terrein) after the relocation of the GZG Hospital in 2006. A master plan to repurpose the site and refurbish this cultural heritage of the city, was drawn up. It was made public after the planning approval by council in 2015.
West 8’s new plan intends to create a new anchor at the historic center with quality urban dwellings and diverse urban functions that fits the distinct character and cohesion of historic center of ‘s-Hertogenbosch city, where old and new, historic monuments and distinctive new homes altogether form a ‘perfect unison’.
Much has happened in the Gasthuiskwartier over the past years. The first phase (A and B) was overwhelmingly sold out in 2017. Secured by West 8’s plan, a number of (national) monuments that are being selected to be preserved, have been transferred to new owners and are currently being renovated by entrepreneurs, for example the Maria Pavoljoen has already become a very popular resturants, or the Poliklieniek will house a elderly care home. The underground parking basement is already taking shape.
When engineers were working hard on the site during the last years, archaeologists of the Heritage ‘s-Hertogenbosch Department were very excited. During the construction work of this early phase, they were present to record any valuable residues. A branch of the Binnendieze, the collective name of a number of streams in the city center of ‘s-Hertogenbosch, has emerged. The brick quay walls and a part of a barrack have been preserved from this branch.
De Binnendieze formed the northern border of the former hospital at this site. This complex was built around 1485 for the care of the poorer population of ‘s-Hertogenbosch. The found quay walls of the Binnendieze date from this period. Just next to the research area was the ‘pesthuis’ (literally ‘house for the outbreak’) that was built around 1485 on the Binnendieze. The pesthuis was part of the hospital and was eventually demolished in 1908.
The new estates is also starting to take shape this year. Meanwhile, the contours of the first phase (Block A and B) are clearly visible via the livestream video. These are 23 apartments and 20 houses of the first phase. The construction of the second phase that consists of 42 homes, will be on its way. Under the guidelines set up by West 8’s urban design master plan, the same four architectural firms as in the first phase will also guarantee a beautiful diversity of buildings with varying heights, shapes and colors for the new residents of this historic inner city of ‘s-Hertogenbosch.
You can track the gradual development of this site in a timeline via this link (in Dutch).