West 8 awarded Third Place at FIZ Future Design Competition
West 8 urban design & landscape architecture with Atelier Kempe Thill has been awarded third place in the FIZ Future Design Competition. First place went to HENN (Germany, Munich) and second to andernst niklaus fausch Architekten (Switzerland, Zurich). The three winners receive a prize money of 10,000 to 30,000 Euros respectively. The winning designs will be presented to the local council. Subsequently, all designs will be presented to citizens of Munich in a large public exhibition.
Teams were tasked with developing a design for the 26 hectare competition site. According to BMW “The Group’s continuous growth, technological changes (such as the emergence of e-mobility, novel materials, and increasing interconnection) along with new working times and workplace paradigms necessitated medium to long-term restructuring and expansion”.
In agreement with the Bavarian Chamber of Architects and the Bavarian Chamber of Civil Engineers, the competition was structured as an invited competition consisting of two consecutive stages presided over by the same jury. The jury was composed of representatives of the BMW Group, officials from the City of Munich and a selection of independent architects, landscape architects and traffic planners.
Stage One was open to architects cooperating with landscape architects as well as urban planners cooperating with architects and landscape architects and included 12 competitors. Only six of whom were selected to advance to Stage Two of the competition. In this stage the anonymity of competitors was lifted to allow the direct exchange of ideas between each competitor and the jury. Teams were also required to cooperate with a traffic planner during this stage.
List of Competitors Stage 2:
– HENN, Munich (1st Prize)
– andernst niklaus fausch Architekten, Zurich (2nd Prize)
– West 8 urban design & landscape architecture with Atelier Kempe Thill (3rd Prize)
– AllesWirdGut Architektur ZT, Vienna with club L94 Landschaftsarchitekten, Cologne
– AS&P – Albert Speer & Partner, Frankfurt am Main with ver.de, Freising
– gmp International, Hamburg with ST raum a., Berlin
Other competitors in Stage 1 (in addition to those already listed above):
– agps, Zurich, with Vogt Landschaftsarchitekten, Zurich
– BIG – Bjarke Ingels Group, Copenhagen with t17 Landschaftsarchitekten, Munich
– Clive Wilkinson Architects, Los Angeles, with Stoss Landscape Urbanism, Boston
– DP architects, Singapur, with DP green, Singapore
– KAAN Architecten, Rotterdam with OKRA landschapsarchitecten, Utrecht
– White arkitekter AB, Stockholm
For more information please see the official announcements here: